Wednesday, November 28, 2007

KIDISM'S

Caden after Thanksgiving: "I get so tired after I eat Turkey. Why does turkey make me tired?" Rich explains the science to him, stating basically that it's due to Triptophan, a hormone in the turkey meat. He's quiet for a minute. "So then... are turkeys always tired?"

Sofia had a very interesting conversation withe her Aunt Jeimy that is worthy of blogging but I must first issue a disclaimer or it may be taken the wrong way. The kids at various times in the past (and currently) have raised money for African children and missionaries in Africa. At our church a couple years ago, they discussed with the children that a lot of the drinking water in Africa is contaminated and they used a very good visual of dirty water to reach the sunday school kids. It really impacted my children and since then they seem to be fairly sensitive to problems in Africa. Their grandfather has also gone on a couple missions trips to Africa, bringing back pictures that the kids have seen. And most recently, they went and saw the African Children's Choir in Camden which raised money for their orphanage. Now, here in Maine, the population is predominately white. Other than her cousins and Aunt Jeimy who are Ecuadorian, the only other colored skin that she is familiar with is a new friend she has at church and a family that we have recently hung out with. Her ratial experience is nill. Soooo, sitting on her Aunt's lap she is looking at her skin and commenting that it is very different from hers. She is pondering this and then states "The black kids in Africa are very poor. They are poor and have no mommies, and yucky water." Jeimy "yes's" her and Sofia carries on. "and their water is black and that's why their skin is black. We all have to send them money for good water." Thankfully Aunt Jeimy with her brownish skin cleared a few things up for her.

Caden at bedtime after he hurt his arm: "Well I guess it was just part of God's plan that my arm's hurt." I say nothing. "I wonder why it wasn't God's plan for your arm to get hurt instead of mine?" I still say nothing.

Caden at bedtime: "Mom, during Pearl Harbor did the American birds fight with the Japanese birds?"

Sofia in the car: "Mommy, when is Silas gonna be born again?" Me: "I don't know Sofia, that's between him and God." Sofia: " Well, I sure hope it's soon because I sure liked that ice cream at the hospital." (Sofia had unlimited ice cream and juice when I was in labor.)

Caden at dinner: "I know how to spell puppies!" He begins to spell out loud "D-O-G..." Then looking perplexed he sounds out what he has spelled..."D--duh, O--ohhh, G--guh" and then looks at us and we all laugh.

No comments: