Friday, September 28, 2007

gas stations, therapy and flickers

I think you need a special degree to pump gas at some gas stations. They drive me crazy. Like I think soon it's going to be part of some fancy entrance exams. 1."How quick can you get your gas pump started?" a) 1.3 minutes(I engineer gas pumps) b) 7 min (not till the attendant assist) c) 8 seconds ( I am part-time pit crew)
Here's the scene: I drive around to find a stall/bay(ha-what the heck are they called?) that's actually not out of gas. I jump out to start the process and flick the flicker lever thing up and down--thankfully the gas begins to flow. Across the...stall (hahaha) a man in a suit hops out of a SUV. He's fancy. He looks at me and at that moment I am NOT fancy--I am a mom. A mom pumping gas into a van.
He kinda gives me this smirk...the fancy man "I'm cool and your not." smirk and then puts in his card. Again and again he puts in his card. Then he starts flickin the flicker thing ( hahaha) and nothing happens . I heard lot's of beeps though. Then he huffs and walks half way to the entrance and puts his hands in the air. There is conversation and then he comes back and pushes a few buttons...more beeps...more flicks...more swiping. Then he hits the gas pump. MEANWHILE, Miss Unfancy pants is still pumping successfully. Across the way another lady says very loudly " STUPID thing forgot to give me my receipt!" At this point a high school kid comes out to the pump and helps Mr. Fancy pants get his gas. The flustered receipt lady races over to tattle on her stubborn reciept printer. High school kid fixes everything. All is well again. However, SUV man doesn't look so confident and refuses eye contact even though I try.
SO happy to see I am not alone in my gas station trials. Free therapy at the local Irving. Wow how great is that? It only cost me $40. I only wanted about $20 but had to keep pumping to see how things played out for everyone. So, how many of you hate the inconsistency of gas stations and debit machines in grocery stores? Don't they just drive ya bonkers.

2 comments:

Libbydale said...

Love it! Both your blogs on Friday made me laugh. I posted a new one about the seagulls at the beach. Hope you had a good weekend...we sure did!

Keep posting. I need more laughter!

Lib

Anonymous said...

Just think what it must have been like in 1979 when people lined up for miles to get gas. Imagine the frustration then when you finally got to the pump and no gas.
I hae seen tempers definately flare at the pump. I mean people fiercely defend their "right" to the pump. If they are in line and you even hint at using that pump first, the window comes down and they sqwack out a bunch of @&%@##%^! and then they visually display their IQ with thier middle finger and all over who will pump next.
There are few things better than a beautiful women pumping gas into her Chevy Truck! When we had our Silverado and Libby filled it up with gas I admit, "She looked so sexy!"
Thanks Robin for this nice gas pump memory recollection. I like your blog!!!